Postings

Monday 12 November 2012

Old Age - Is it really that bad?



Old Age – Is it really that bad?

                                                                                              Stes de Necker


As I've aged I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with
ageing. 

Whose business is it if I choose to read, or play on the computer, until 4 AM, or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50, 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.

I will walk on the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging  body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying  glances from the jet set. They, too, will get old. 

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And, I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

If walking/cycling is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.
A whale swims all day, only eats fish, drinks water, and is fat.
A rabbit runs and hops and only lives 15 years.
A tortoise doesn't run and does nothing, yet it lives for 450 years.
And they tell me exercise is good for you! I don’t think so.
I’m retired! It’s the tortoise life for me. If I'm holding you up, go around me.





This woman is 51 yrs old.
She is TV health guru Gillian McKeith, advocating a holistic approach to nutrition and health, and promoting exercise, a vegetarian diet which is high in organic fruits and vegetables.
She recommends detox diets, colonic irrigation and supplements.





This woman is also 51.
She is Nigella Lawson... a TV chef, who eats meat, butter, chocolate and desserts and she washes it all down with wine!

So, to answer your question: I for one, like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.

And I shall drink wine and eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it). 

Find some more interesting articles on my blog.
Just click   http://stesdeneckers.blogspot.com




No comments:

Post a Comment